MSEI Graduate Program
Master of Science in Entrepreneurship & Innovation at Cal State University, San Bernardino
EXCITING NEWS! We are pleased to announce that we will be awarding one (1) scholarship of $5,000 to one (1) student in our first accepted cohort. To be eligible, you must be one of the first 10 students that apply and are accepted to the program.The application-filing period for the Fall 2020 semester will be October 1, 2019 - July 7, 2020. Apply through CSU Apply! All students applying for the program will be eligible for consideration for our regular competitive scholarship programs: the Spirit of the Entrepreneur and the Charles and Shelby Obershaw Endowment for Student Success – Entrepreneurship. In 2018-19, we awarded approximately $25,000 in scholarships from those dedicated funds.
LAUNCH DATE: August 2020 – Applications Accepted until July 7, 2020 through CSU Apply! NOTE: When selecting your program at CSU San Bernardino in CSU Apply, make sure to choose Entrepreneurship and Innovation (not Business Administration - Entrepreneurship)
The Master of Science in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MSEI) program is designed to offer students with business, technical or other non-business degrees a comprehensive education that prepares them to launch entrepreneurial ventures or new business ventures in large organizations.
The program is structured as a 16-24 month, 30-unit program for both business and non-business majors alike and utilizes primarily face-to-face courses but will also integrate hybrid instruction where appropriate. Through coursework and experiential learning activities, students will be exposed to the key concepts of entrepreneurship including creativity and ideation, evaluation and screening of business concepts, business model formulation, startup models and the entrepreneurial process, team formation, marshaling resources, planning techniques and launch strategies.
Increasingly, students are seeking specialized graduate programs rather than the traditional Masters in Business Administration (MBA), according to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Whereas by design a generalist MBA has breadth requirement and discourages focus on a particular discipline, specialized masters programs are designed to allow and encourage such focus, and that such specialized degrees are increasingly offered at business schools around the country. The MSEI proposed program taps into that trend, offering students an immersive experience focused on the entrepreneurship specialization. According to the Kauffman Foundation, entrepreneurship is on the rise in the US and a recent survey of the field by Inc. magazine noted that the U.S. now has 27 million entrepreneurs. This is significant in that is encompasses nearly a fifth of all working adults.
Have More Questions & Need More Details? Then WATCH the On Demand MSEI Info Session!
Get on Our Interest List
Master of Science in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MSEI) Courses
Required Courses (21 units)
Entrepreneurship Elective (3 units)Chose one (1) from the following:
Custom Elective (3 units)Chose one (1) from the following or any 6000-level course chosen from the graduate business core in consultation with the MSEI faculty advisor:
Culminating Experience (3 units)
Total Units - 30
Master of Science in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MSEI) Admission and Requirements
Approved by the California State University Chancellor's Office and awaiting publication in the CSUSB 2020-21 Catalog!Suitability for admission to the program will be based on an examination of the entire application package. In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with required minimum GPA of 2.75 calculated using the entire degree or the last 90 quarter (60 semester) units, which may include post baccalaureate work. Applicants in the process of finishing an undergraduate degree may apply, with acceptance contingent on successful completion of the undergraduate degree.
- Personal Statement: A statement that provides insight on the student's motivation to join the program, how the student plans on using the degree to further his/her professional goals, and the personal qualifications that will contribute to successful completion of the program. This can be submitted in one of two possible formats: (a) a written statement of no more than 500 words; or (b) a short video, not more than 2 minutes in length.
- English Proficiency for International Students: All international applicants who have not completed three years of full-time study at the secondary or post-secondary level where English was the language of instruction must also achieve an acceptable score, as determined by the MSEI committee, ratified by the College Curriculum Committee, and in alignment with the Office of Graduate Studies requirements on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the IELTS exam or complete CSUSB's ESL program. The current minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 550/PBT, 213/CBT, 79-80/IBT taken within the past two years; IELTS score of 6.5 taken within the past two years; or complete level 6 of CSUSB's Intensive English Program;
- Resume: Submission of a current resume;
- Letters of Recommendation: One (1) letter of recommendation is required that attests to the applicant's intellectual and professional aptitude;
- Interview: Each applicant will be required to participate in a brief interview with the MSEI program director and/or faculty.
MSEI Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees for the 2020-21 academic year are available here. are available here. Please also note that all graduate business students, including the MSEI, are required to pay the Graduate Business Professional Development fee of $270 per semester unit.